Women's Football News

Women's Football News, Print, Web and TV Media
Latest News Women's Football TV News Archive Search Get the Mag

Share page on Social Media:   f  Share     t     G+   find us on Twitter: @wssmagnews
Women's Football News

Women's Soccer Scene
Wasps buzzing after Oxford win
 Women's Football WNL South News - 28 Aug 2019
Crawley Wasps, beaten finalists in the League Cup last season, booked their place in this season's competition by winning 1-0 away to Oxford Utd in the Determining Round.
A closely fought match was expected and it turned out to be so, heading towards extra time until Naomi Cole scored the only goal of the game with six minutes left to play.
Durham Cestria's first ever match in the competition ended in a fine 2-1 win over Middlesbrough. Dannika Purdham grabbed both for Durham, one in each half, with Emily Scarr replying for 'Boro.
Likewise, Cambridge City played their first League Cup and it resulted in a victory, 3-1 away to Chichester City. Beatrice Fitzsimmons, Charlotte Gillies and Megan Tonks scored the goals for Cambridge, Megan Fox netting Chichester's consolation (see match report).
Exeter City emerged as 4-3 winners from a thrilling local derby tie against Plymouth Argyle. Anthea Kaptein gave Exeter a first half lead which was cancelled out by Amber Pollock, with Kaptein netting her second ahead of the break. Jessie Jones scored another equaliser straight after half time but Abbie Britton quickly restored Exeter's lead and Kaptein went on to complete her hat-trick with a decisive fourth goal, despite Pollock having given Argyle late hope.
Brighouse Town claimed a notable 2-1 victory against Loughborough Foxes from the division above. Laura Bartup netted Brighouse's goal, with the Foxes' reply coming from Becky McGrother.
Norton & Stockton Ancients were another team to beat higher division opponents, running out 6-2 winners over Hull City. Nyci Thorns bagged a brace for Norton along with Victoria Burton, Shannon Reed, Maddy Atkinson and Sacha Millward, whilst Rachael Ackroyd and Emily Smith scored for Hull.
Barnsley travelled to West Bromwich Albion and returned with a 4-2 victory under their belts. Albion took a first half lead through Trina Greaves, Barnsley hitting back with a Sophie Crosby brace and Melissa Woodhouse netted the third in the opening minute of the second half. Jade Arber gave Albion hope when she pulled one back with four minutes remaining but Sophie Bell sealed the win for Barnsley in injury time.
Lucy Sowerby was the heroine for Huddersfield Town as they came from two goals behind at the interval to win a thrilling tie 4-3 against Nottingham Forest. Precious Hamilton's early strike for Forest was cancelled out by Kate Mallin but Isabel Sullivan quickly restored Forest's lead and Hamilton netted her second on the twenty minute mark. Sowerby then proceeded to hit a second half hat-trick to turn the match around in Town's favour, including the winning goal five minutes from time.
The North East derby tie went in favour of favourites Sunderland, but they were pushed all the way as they won 3-2 against Newcastle Utd at the Stadium of Light. In front of an impressive crowd of 1,168, Beth Gardener gave Newcastle an early lead but Jessica Brown brought the Wearsiders level with a spectacular strike. Brown then put Sunderland ahead on the stroke of half time with her second goal but midway through the second half, Imogen Longcake equalised for Newcastle. The game was settled with fifteen minutes remaining and this time, Brown turned provider as she set up Bridget Galloway to score the winning goal from close range.
Only of the Determining Round ties went all the way to penalties, at Lincoln City where visitors Stoke City emerged as winners from the shootout which followed their 2-2 draw. Emily Atkinson put Lincoln ahead early on, with Natasha Baptiste equalising, with Abigail Murrell netting Lincoln's second and Faye McCoy replying. Extra time could not separate the two teams and it was Stoke who triumphed 4-3 from the spot.
Ellie Gilliatt led the scoring with a hat-trick as Derby County ran out 8-1 winners away to Burton Albion. Cara Newton and Hannah Keryakoplis each weighed in with a brace and Sophie Domingo was also on target, with the home side's late consolation coming from Emmalee Hornsby.
Two late goals helped Sheffield FC to a 4-1 victory at Doncaster Rovers Belles, in the clash between two former winners of the competition. Molly Johnson scored twice in the dying minutes to secure the win for Sheffield, who earlier found the net through Tania Marsden and Milly Wortley, with Jasmine Saxton replying for the Belles.
Burnley FC Women came through a tricky tie away to Leeds Utd in style, with a 3-0 win. However the scoreline probably did not do Leeds justice on the day as the game remained goalless until eleven minutes from time, when Sarah Greenhalgh gave Burnley the lead. Substitute Kelly Halligan then netted an injury time double to seal the victory for the Clarets and take them safely into the League Cup.
Fylde Ladies produced a strong display at Solihull Moors, scoring eight times without reply. Jodie Redgrave spearheaded the win for the Coasters with a hat-trick, Emily Hollinshead weighed in with a brace and there was one apiece from Jenna Carroll, Sasha Rowe and Danielle Young.
Keynsham Town came from a goal behind to win 2-1 against Buckland Athletic. Sarah Stacey gave the Devon side an early lead but Keynsham hit back to equalise just after the half hour through Annys Turner and after both sides had struck the woodwork during the second half, Libby Piggott settled matters in Keynsham's favour when she fired home a 20-yard strike with six minutes remaining.
Another closely fought tie between Portsmouth and Watford went to extra time with the scoreline goalless. Tamsin De Bunsen broke the deadlock when she gave Pompey the lead within three minutes of the restart and shortly afterwards, Becki Bath secured a 2-0 win for Portsmouth with the second goal.
Cardiff City Ladies returned from Maidenhead Utd with a 5-1 victory under their belts. Grace Horrell gave them a first minute lead and Chloe Lloyd added a second, before Simone O'Brien pulled one back just before half time. Cori Williams restored the two-goal advantage ten minutes into the second half, before Lloyd netted her second and Kelly Isaac rounded off the scoring late on.
Milton Keynes Dons similarly had a successful trip to Swindon Town, running out 4-0 winners. Leah Littlechild netted two of the goals whilst Mia Chiarizia and Amy Gooderham were also on the scoresheet.
Yeovil Town notched their second high score in successive weeks, this time scoring seven times without reply past Stevenage Women. Meesha Dudley-Jones led the scoring with a hat-trick, Sarah Wiltshire weighed in with a brace and there was one each from Ann Marie Heatherson and Megan Wood.
Stockport County's return to the competition ended in a narrow defeat as they went down 4-3 after extra time to Bedworth Utd. Kirsty Farnsworth, Tiama Gilkes, Jodie McGuckin and Sophie Wilson all scored a goal apiece for Bedworth, whilst Stockport's replies came from Eleanor Charnley, Chloe Mapp and Emma Massey.
Another seven-goal thriller, which also needed extra time to separate the teams, saw Leyton Orient edge out Cambridge Utd 4-3. Ellie Stenning grabbed the winning goal with three minutes of extra time remaining, to add to earlier strikes from Otesha Charles (2) and Michelle Young, whilst Cambridge found the net through Kelley Blanchflower, Mollie Coupar and Faith Hewitt.
Billericay Town were 3-1 winners against Cheltenham Town, thanks to a goal apiece from Jay Blackie, Danica Dougal and Karissa Rodney. Cheltenham's consolation goal was scored by Sally Butterfield.
Birmingham & West Midlands Ladies continued their strong start to the new season as they defeated Bolton Wanderers 8-0. Laura Cooper and Jessica Lundie each bagged doubles and they were joined on the scoresheet by Jade Grove, Elizabeth Steele, Tanya Dickinson and Ashlea Hargreaves.
Chorley were the day's highest scorers with a 10-2 victory over Leafield Athletic. Beth Donoghue led the scoring with a hat-trick whilst Ellie Mills contributed a brace, with a goal each from Grace Vella, Rebecca Kemp, Charlotte Marshall, Jodie Pilling and Megan Searson. Ella Bridges and Michelle McCormack replied with consolation strikes for Leafield.
Things were considerably tighter at Liverpool Feds where the home side were narrow 1-0 winners against Bradford City. The Feds have enjoyed good Cup runs in recent seasons and will be hoping to have embarked on another one after Jennifer Rogers scored the only goal of the game, early in the second half.
Long Eaton Utd have started the season in good form and kept this up with a 7-2 success over Chester-le-Street Town. Nicola Emery, Ashleigh Evans and Laura Sears all netted twice for Long Eaton and Hannah Barber added the other, with Kacie Elson hitting a brace in reply.
Another game which saw plenty of goals finished with The New Saints beating Leicester Utd 6-3. Kim Bebbington (2), Laura Morris (2), Zoe Griffiths and Laura Pennington scored the goals which took TNS into the Cup, whilst Leicester's responses came from a Chantelle Robinson double and Katie Cropper.
Enfield Town progressed into the Cup competition with a 2-0 victory over Norwich City. Katherine Long gave Enfield the lead after seven minutes and Laura Baker sealed the win with the second goal, ten minutes into the second half.
Kent Football Utd's first venture into the Cup finished in a 2-0 defeat at the hands of AFC Basildon. The sides were two tiers apart last season but are in the same division this time and it was Basildon who triumphed on the day, Poppy Binding giving them a twentieth minute lead and an own goal sealing the victory.
Southampton FC fared better on their debut, netting six times without reply past Ipswich Town. Alisha Ware led the scoring with a hat-trick and also on target for the Saints were Ella Pusey, Sophia Pharoah and Phoebe Williams.
Gemma Fraser scored four times as Chesham Utd went through with an 8-0 victory over Brislington. Eden Kibrom added two and they were joined on the scoresheet by Rebecca Bloor and Charlotte Arrowsmith.
Southampton Women booked their place in the Cup as they won 2-0 against Poole Town. Natasha Angel put Southampton ahead two minutes before half time and Philippa Holden wrapped up the win with the second goal, six minutes from time.

 back to TOP


Women's Soccer Scene Media ©
on mobile   wssNews.co.uk 



Womens Football TV
Latest wssTV  


Womens Football Magazine
Womens Football Magazine

Womens Soccer Secene Media

Safe For Kids

Discount Football Kits

Women's Football Advertising

Womens Football News send your story photos and video

Women's Football Advertising

News Archive <
News 2020-2021
News 2019-2020
News 2018-2019
News 2017-2018
News 2016-2017
News 2015-2016
News 2014-2015
News 2013-2014
News 2012-2013
News 2011-2012
Women's World Cup 2011
News 2010-2011
News 2009-2010
News 2008-2009
News 2007-2008
Women's World Cup 2007
News 2006-2007
News 2005-2006
News Euro 2005
News 2004-2005
News 2003-2004

Women's Sport Search
Women's Sport Search

Women's Football Advertising

Women's Football History


FA Womens Football Awards

BBC Sport Women's Football

Women's Football Advertising

Football Foundation


Total page reads:

© designed, created, hosted and managed by  WWW Support Services   (click for info)