The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Women’s FA Cup

Darwen FC Women went through to the Third Round as they beat Leeds Utd on a penalty shootout, after the teams had shared a 1-1 draw. Jessica Rousseau gave Leeds the lead on the half hour but Darwen battled back after the break to equalise through Rachel Wood and after extra time could not produced a winner, it was the Salmonesses who triumphed 4-3 from the spot to set up a local derby tie against Blackburn Rovers, from the Barclays Women’s Championship.

Coundon Court also claimed a National League scalp, winning 2-1 away to Leafield Athletic. The scoreline was goalless at half time but Jessica Lundie gave Coundon the lead seven minutes after the restart. Neive Fallon brought Leafield back on level terms but Sophie Shale scored what proved to be the winner for the West Midlands League side. Alnwick Town faced a daunting task when they travelled to Burnley FC Women and it was the Northern Premier Division leaders who were to run out 9-1 winners. Brenna McPartlan led the scoring with a hat-trick, Leah Embley weighed with a double and there was one apiece from Millie Ravening, Amaya Coleman-Evans, Laura Elford and Mikayla Wildgoose. Coundon Court will therefore have a plum home tie in the next round against Burnley FC Women.

Durham Cestria caused an upset when they won 1-0 away to Liverpool Feds, from the division above. Faye Dale scored the only goal of the game for the Wildcats, early in the second half, they must now play away to Sunderland.

Sarah Hassanin led the scoring with a hat-trick as Rugby Borough defeated Solihull Moors 7-1. Lily Greenslade, Alanah Mann, Ebony Wiseman and Samantha Curwood-Wagner contributed the other goals to set up Rugby with a home tie against Sheffield Utd.

The ‘Battle of the Magpies’ went with form as Newcastle Utd ran out 5-0 winners over Chorley at Blainscough Park. Katie Barker gave Newcastle the lead ahead of half time and in the second half, Bridget Galloway, Elysia Boddy, Sharna Wilkinson and Rebecca Ferguson added the other goals. Newcastle will be at home in the Third Round to fellow Northern Premier Division side Stoke City, Ellie Leek scored the only goal of the game, three minutes before half time, as Stoke recorded a narrow 1-0 success against Stockport County.

Chester-le-Street Town came through a tricky tie against North East League high fliers Spennymoor Town with a 3-2 win. Jenny Ashton netted twice for the Cestrians and Isla Maggs added the other, with Courtney Mole scoring both in reply. Chester-le-Street will be in the role of underdogs in the next round as they will be at home to Derby County, who came through a tricky tie against Loughborough Lightning with a 4-1 victory. Lauren Purchase did give Loughborough an eighth minute lead but Derby were back on level terms just before half time, thanks to Eleanor Ashton. Amy Sims put the Ewes in front for the first time, three minutes after the restart, before Ashton netted her second and Rebecca May rounded off the scoring.

Worcester City hosted Milton Keynes Dons at the Sixways Stadium and gave a good account of themselves as the visitors recorded a 3-0 victory. Lucy Wood bagged a brace for the Dons and Laura Mitchell added the other goal. This means that the Dons will be at home in the Third Round to former winners Birmingham City.

Nottingham Forest were pushed all the way by Sporting Khalsa but made it through with a 3-2 win. Mai Moncaster, Sophie Domingo and Louanne Worsey looked to be putting Forest on their way towards a comfortable victory as they took a three-goal lead, but Olivia Stubbs gave Khalsa hope when she pulled a goal back just before half time. Leonie Joyce further reduced the arrears with seven minutes remaining but Forest saw the game out to take their place in the Second Round. Forest will face more Division One Midlands opposition in the next round, Boldmere St Michaels who produced a fine result away to Norwich City, beating the in-form Canaries 2-1. Jade Formaston headed the Mikes in front from a corner, with Ceri Flye levelling the scores before half time. The game seemed to be heading towards an extra 30 minutes but Boldmere captain Philippa Wilson settled matters when she drilled home a 20-yard shot for the winner, deep into injury time.

West Bromwich Albion were taken to extra time by a brave Needham Market performance, before the Eastern Region League side’s resistance was finally broken by three goals. Mariam Mahmood opened the scoring seven minutes into the extra period, before Simran Jhamat and a Mahmood penalty put the seal on a 3-0 victory and a plum Second Round tie at home to Championship opponents Durham Women.

Hull City continued their Cup run as they won 3-2 away to FC United of Manchester. Helen Lynskey, Hope Knight and Jo Symington were all on target for the Tigresses, with Shaunna Jein and Mia Wildin replying. Hull now play host to Wolverhampton Wanderers who ended the hopes of Peterborough Utd by scoring seven times without reply. Amber Hughes led the scoring for Wolves with a hat-trick, and she was joined on target by Tammi George, Beth Roberts, Sophie Bramford and Katie Johnson.

Chatham Town meanwhile narrowly got the better of AFC Wimbledon and set up a Third Round trip to Crystal Palace by winning a nine-goal thriller, with Jasmine Auguste, Breon Grant, Ellie Jeffkins and Letitia Nicholls all scoring for the Kent side along with an own goal, whilst Wimbledon’s replies came from Ashleigh Goddard, Hannah Billingham, Ashlee Hincks and Daisy McLachlan.

Dulwich Hamlet had provided the result of the First Round and faced another Southern Premier Division team in the form of Billericay Town and gave a good account of themselves as the Essex side went through with a 2-1 victory. Indeed, they took the lead from a Brittany Saylor penalty during the first half and after Soraya Walsh had levelled the scores, it took an injury time winner from Maddie Biggs to separate the two teams and send Billericay into the next round, where they will go to London City Lionesses.

Cheltenham Town came from a goal behind at the break to beat Exeter City 3-2 in a match which saw plenty of late goal drama. Exeter led for much of the game through a first half strike from Sarah Stacey, but Emily Allen equalised with a few minutes remaining and injury time goals from Phoebie Poole and Emily Owen finally saw Cheltenham through, despite Stacey pulling one back with her second goal, meaning their side must now take on Reading FC Women.

Luton Town are through to the Second Round following their 5-3 victory away to Enfield Town. Jess McKay was on target twice along with Fiona Buttigieg, Samaira Khan and Gabriella Spillman for the Hatters who must wait and see who their opponents will be, as they are home to the delayed tie between Bristol Rovers and Keynsham Town.

Portsmouth scored seven times without reply past Ebbsfleet Utd. Beth Lumsden, Georgie Freeland and Sophie Quirk all scored twice for Pompey, with Emma Jones adding the other goal. This sets Portsmouth up with a mouthwatering Third Round tie at home to South Coast arch rivals Southampton.

Plymouth Argyle won 4-2 against AFC Stoneham, Ellie Sara was on target twice for Argyle along with Jemma Rose and Rosie McDonnell whilst Stoneham, who play three levels below their opponents and acquitted themselves well, managed late replies through Susani Lucas and Mia Delaney. Argyle will be up against Oxford Utd who beat Dartford 2-0, courtesy of a second half double from Zoe Barratt.

Ipswich Town ran out 8-0 winners over Sutton Coldfield Town to set themselves up with a home tie against Lewes. Lenna Williams bagged a hat-trick for the Tractor Girls along with Sophie Peskett (2), Lucy O’Brien, Natasha Thomas and Megan Wearing.

Moneyfields continued their Cup run with a 3-1 success away to Haringey Borough, courtesy of a Charley Wilson-Wilton double and Kim Fuller whilst Haringey’s consolation came from Victoria Campbell. The Moneys are now up against Millwall Lionesses who defeated Bromley FC Women 2-0.

Swindon Town hosted AFC Bournemouth at the County Ground and took the lead ten minutes before half time, via an Annabelle Colston penalty. They remained in front until Gemma McGuinness levelled the scores with fifteen minutes remaining and the turnaround was completed in injury time, when Chloe Gilroy netted the winner for the Cherries who are now up against Championship high fliers Charlton Athletic.

There was drama in Keynsham Town’s delayed First Round home tie against Marine Academy Plymouth, after the home side had raced into a three-goal lead with goals from Naomi Clipston, Justine Lorton and Vicky Vipond. Sam Drewery pulled one back for Marine via a 25-yard free kick and in the last five minutes, Tallulah Thompson and an own goal ensured that the game was level at 3-3 at the end of 90 minutes. Extra time could not provide a winner and a lengthy penalty shootout saw Keynsham eventually emerge as 8-7 winners, meaning they now go to Bristol Rovers in the Second Round.

The other First Round tie that was still to be played turned out to be another thriller as Southampton Women managed to edge out Brentford 4-3 with an unlikely heroine in extra time. Remarkably, the team playing in a lower tier once again staged a comeback from three goals behind but once again, it was not quite enough to complete an upset on the day. The Sirens went three up, courtesy of a Megan Wood hat-trick, but Brentford battled back to get back on level terms through a brace from Nikki Woods, plus a Kirsty Matthews header. The game went into extra time where Southampton substitute Leah Etheridge, normally a goalkeeper but on as an emergency substitute, scored a dramatic winner to end the London & South East League side’s resistance and send her team through to face Maidenhead Utd, with a home tie against Watford on offer for the victors (see match report).