The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Back to home page

Sirens survive Bees’ sting

Brentford 3 Southampton Women 4 (aet)

The delayed Adobe Women's FA Cup First Round tie between Brentford and Southampton Women was a classic example of the magic this competition can provide.

Bees defied the two tier gap between the clubs to take the tie into extra time, mounting a brilliant comeback from a three-goal deficit only to lose out to a dramatic late winner from an unlikely source.


Southampton started strongly and raced into a two-goal lead, both from Megan Wood. The first was a well judged lob from distance, the second another long range effort beyond home keeper Evie Witek.


Brentford showed no ill effects from a difficult start and created a series of good chances around the middle of the half. Sirens keeper Grace Jenman made an outstanding save to keep out a Chloe Logie top corner shot on 20 minutes and from the resulting corner a close range Kirsty Matthews header went over.


Southampton extended their lead via a twice-taken Wood penalty after a handball. Witek's fine save from the first effort was in vain as Wood converted the second chance for a fine first half hat-trick.


Bees were by no means three goals worse than their visitors and gave the majority of the large crowd something to cheer before the break with a goal from Nikki Woods, finishing confidently a through ball from Freya Worsley on 42 minutes.


Woods turned provider for the Bees’ second, her corner met with a well placed header from Matthews soon after the restart. The comeback was complete via a superb second Woods goal well before the hour, cutting across the area before lofting a precision strike beyond Jenman's reach.

Brentford continued their momentum for much of the half, creating the better situations and denying Sirens as an attacking threat until the final ten minutes of normal time. However, it took a fine Witek save late on from a free kick to keep Brentford in the tie.


Southampton started extra time as strongly as they had done the opening half, somehow failing to convert a massive scramble in the home six yard area but the game settled into a stalemate and seemed to be heading for a shootout.


Enter Leah Etheridge. Normally a goalkeeper, injuries saw her enter the field as a striker and the golden chance came after a fine run and cross from the left by  Isabelle Thorogood on 115 minutes.


Despite their best efforts there was no further comeback for the hosts who had played a super match and it is the Sirens who will face Maidenhead United in the second round after an epic battle.

Brentford: Evie Witek, Keira Ferns, Cara Graham, Regan Graver, Samantha Read, Mollie Holmes, Freya Worsley, Sophie Troth, Chloe Logie, Kirsty Matthews, Nikki Woods. Subs: Chloe Webb, Aya Mirjan, Nour Aboul Kheir, Eleonora Cottrell, Ellen Wardlaw, Ashley Arquette, Lucy Bolitho.

Southampton Women: Grace Jenman, Lilly Wellesley-Davies, Laura Vokes, Emma Whitlock, Chloe Tucker, Lauren Knight, Megan Wood, Shannon Sievwright, Isabelle Thorogood, Brittany Jeal, Ellie Chaffe. Subs: Sara Luce, Leah Etheridge, Kaitlyn Cousens, Chloe Ball, Olivia Payne.

Photos by

Chloe Logie under pressure from Kaitlyn Cousens. Cara Graham makes a good challenge on Lauren Knight. Freya Worsley slides in to tackle Megan Wood.