The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

We apologise for the website being offline recently for circumstances beyond our control. We shall restore our regular service as fast as possible, including our acclaimed News Archive section!

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

To see a larger version of each photo,  position the cursor over the picture!

Back to home page

Hayes header wins trophy

Celtic 1 Glasgow City 0

at the Firhill Stadium

Celtic lifted the Scottish Women’s Premier League Cup for only the second time in their history and first since 2010 after a Caitlin Hayes header gave them a hard earned success at Firhill.

Glasgow City went into the game looking to win the Cup for the first time since 2015 and seeking a record equalling seventh success in the competition.

In front of an attendance of 3,645 - a new record for a domestic cup final in Scotland - t was Celtic who made a fast start to the game and almost took the lead in the opening minute, when Charlie Wellings stole in and fired a shot a goal, which was tipped onto the post by Lee Alexander.

Alexander was called into action again with a save from a Clarissa Larisey effort but in the 25th minute, Celtic were rewarded for their enterprising opening quarter of the game.

After bring awarded a free kick on the right, Sarah Harkes floated the ball into the area for Hayes to run in and power a header past Alexander for the opening goal.

City were finding it hard to get going at this stage and there were no scares for Celtic as they took their one-goal lead into the half time interval.

Celtic also started the second half on the front foot and a strike from the edge of the area by Harkes was kept out by Alexander. City hit back with an Ode Fulutudilu cross which picked out Hayley Lauder, whose header flew straight at Rachael Johnstone.

Wellings fired wide at the other end but on the hour, Celtic almost doubled their lead when a flick by Wellings released Jacynta Galabadaarachchi on goal but once again, Alexander did well to come off her line quickly and make a smothering save.

Chloe Craig headed into the net after a Wellings shot had been parried but Celtic celebrations were cut short by an offside flag.

Glasgow City started to press for an equaliser and Johnstone was called into action with a fingertip save from Fulutudilu, with Priscilla Chinchilla closing in. City were to come even closer fifteen minutes from time, a Lauder corner being met by Claire Walsh whose header rattled the bar.

City continued to throw players forward but the Celtic defence stayed firm, and the Hoops could have scored a second late on when Alexander saved from Tegan Bowie after she had combined with Shen Mengyu.

Celtic: Rachael Johnstone, Chloe Craig, Jodie Bartle, Caitlin Hayes, Kelly Clark, Cheyenne Shorts, Sarah Harkes (sub Tyler Toland 89mins), Jacynta Galabadaarachchi (sub Tegan Bowie 85mins), Charlie Wellings, Clarissa Larisey (Shen Mengyu 82mins), Olivia Chance. Subs not used: Chloe Logan, Isibeal Atkinson, Maria Olafsdottir Gros, Kathleen McGovern.

Glasgow City: Lee Alexander, Julia Molin, Agata Filipa, Jenna Clark, Claire Walsh, Hayley Lauder, Lauren Davidson (sub Mairead Fulton 45mins), Niamh Farrelly, Ode Fulutudilu, Priscilla Chinchilla, Aoife Colvill (sub Tyler Dodds 86mins). Subs not used: Erin Clachers, Cailin Michie, Vital Kats, Clare Shine, Megan Foley.