The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

An interview with Boldmere St Michaels vice captain Daina Scott ++ Scotland name Under-17 squad ++ Continental Cup Final is sold out ++ Wolves and Oxford hit top spot ++ Short term appointment for Fiona McIntyre ++ S4K Ladies clinch title ++ Arsenal go five points clear ++ 

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Back to home page

Ipswich through to quarter finals

Ipswich Town will carry the flag for the FA Women's National League in the quarter finals of the Vitality Women's FA Cup, following a dramatic victory over league rivals Southampton FC Women on Sunday, which takes them into the last eight for the first time in their history.

The Tractor Girls were penalty shootout winners over the Saints after the teams had fought out a 1-1 draw which had seen an amazing finish. Ipswich and Southampton had met twice already this season, with one win apiece, and things were just as tight on this occasion as it ended goalless after ninety minutes. The first period of extra time also drew a blank but four minutes after the restart, Anna Grey gave Ipswich the lead. It looked as though the Suffolk side had done enough to win the game but, deep into injury time, the unlikeliest of goalscorers salvaged the game for Southampton as goalkeeper Kayla Rendell headed in an equaliser, to take the match into a shootout.

When it came to penalties though, it was Rendell's counterpart Sarah Quantrill's turn to perform heroics as she saved kicks from Lucia Kendall and Katie Rood to give Ipswich a 4-2 win from the spot, having scored all of their penalties through Lucy O'Brien, Issy Bryant, Zoe Barratt and Paige Peake.

Ipswich have been rewarded with a home tie in the quarter finals against West Ham Utd, who came through a closely fought tie of their own away to Reading FC Women. This match was also goalless after ninety minutes and this time, extra time was to produce a winner, with Dagny Brynjarsdottir giving the Hammers a 1-0 victory when she scored in the first period injury time.

Holders Chelsea eased into the last eight on the back of a 7-0 victory over Leicester City. The seventeenth minute sending off of Sophie Howard proved to be a crucial moment for the Foxes as they found themselves up against it from that point, Pernille Harder then netting a double to put Chelsea two ahead at half time. Sam Kerr made it three on the hour and she completed her own double, after Ji So-Yun and Aniek Nouwen had also got on the scoresheet, and Beth England rounded off the scoring five minutes from time.

Chelsea will be at home in the quarter finals to Birmingham City, who came through a tough tie away to Durham Women with a   1-0 win. A closely fought tie was settled with twelve minutes remaining, when Louise Quinn scored the only goal of the game for the Blues.

Arsenal were another side to have an awkward trip, going to runaway FA Women's Championship leaders Liverpool. Three goals in fifteen first half minutes made things a lot more comfortable for the Gunners; after Caitlin Foord had opened the scoring, Katie McCabe netted the second with a stunning volley and Foord further extended their lead two minutes later. Kim Little put the seal on the victory in the second half, completing a 4-0 win which takes Arsenal into the quarter finals once again.

The Gunners will now play Coventry Utd, the last remaining team from the Championship, who progressed via a 4-2 success away to West Bromwich Albion. Coventry got off to a great start with Alanah Mann givng them a sixth minute lead and Natalie Johnson making it two midway through the first half. Shannon Stamps pulled a goal back for Albion but the two-goal advantage was restored through Katie Wilkinson in first half injury time. Leigh Dugmore revived Albion's hopes after the break when she reduced the arrears from the penalty spot to put the game back in the balance but any Coventry fears were eased three minutes from time, with Olivia Fergusson scored their fourth goal.

Manchester City staged a second half fightback to run out 4-1 winners in their derby tie away to Manchester Utd. Katie Zelem gave United the lead early on, which they held until half time, with Lauren Hemp levelling the scores five minutes after the restart. Two goals in quick succession around the hour mark from Ellen White and Caroline Weir put City in control of the game and Khadija Shaw completed the scoring with the final goal.

The Cityzens have been paired with Everton who were 2-0 victors away to Charlton Athletic. Kenza Dali curled home a spectacular goal to give the Toffees a first half lead and they made the game safe with sixteen minutes remaining, when Anna Anvegard scored the second.