The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

An interview with Burnley FC Women midfielder Nicola Worthington ++ Funding support for NI women's football ++ England to play double header in June ++ Let Girls Play initiative hailed big success ++ Ascot United Reserves land league title ++ Manchester City win Continental Tyres Cup ++ 

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Back to home page

Lionesses end Liverpool’s winning run

Liverpool saw their seven-match winning run brought to a halt on Sunday when they battled out a 1-1 draw with third placed London City Lionesses. Katie Stengel kept up her good form in front of goal by giving the Reds a first half lead but eight minutes into the second half, the Lionesses hit back and a Brooke Nunn goal gave them a share of the spoils.  

Bristol City meanwhile claimed their fourth win on the trot and this sees them trim Liverpool’s lead down to seven points, with six matches left to play. Lauren Smith’s side travelled to Lewes where things remained tight until the midway point of the second half, when Ffion Morgan gave City the lead. Morgan was then to score a second and Abi Harrison sealed a 3-0 win with the final goal in injury time.

Only two of the top six teams were able to record a victory on Sunday, the other being Durham Women who were 2-1 winners away to Blackburn Rovers. Rio Hardy put the Wildcats in front on the half hour, with Blackburn getting back on level terms six minutes into the second half when a Natasha Fenton free kick was deflected into her own net by Sarah Wilson. Elizabeta Ejupi restored Durham’s lead just after the hour and this time they held on for their ninth victory of the season.

Coventry Utd perhaps recorded the best result of the day, a 1-0 victory away to Crystal Palace. The only goal of the game came midway through the second half, Katie Wilkinson slotting home from an Olivia Fergusson cross for their second win of the season and a result which takes their points tally out of the negative numbers.

Charlton Athletic have been in  fine form in recent weeks but they also tasted defeat, beaten 2-0 by Sunderland. This was another match which was goalless at half time and the deadlock was broken on the hour, Neve Herron firing the Wearsiders in front. The game was wrapped up in injury time when Holly Manders was brought down in the area and Herron stepped up to score her second goal from the penalty spot and bring Sunderland’s run of eight league matches without a win to an end.

Sheffield Utd meanwhile extended their unbeaten run to five games, thanks to a 4-0 victory away to Watford. The Blades had been on a difficult run prior to this but their resurgence means they are only six points behind third place. Courtney Sweetman-Kirk gave United a twelfth minute lead and after Rhema Lord-Mears made it two, a deflected shot from Lucy Watson increased their lead on the stroke of half time. Ellie Wilson marked her return from a long term injury by heading in the fourth goal, early in the second half.