The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

An interview with Cheltenham Town goalkeeper Aimee Watson ++ Happy ending for Teversal ++ Woodspring's wonderful first season ++ Coventry excited to face Arsenal ++ Northern Ireland Under-17s top group ++ Moneys check in on National League ++ 

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Back to home page

Second all-Cardiff final on way

This season’s FAW Women’s Cup Final will be the same as that in the Genero Adran Trophy after two well contested semi final ties on Sunday.

Cardiff City Women made it through after winning a thrilling see-saw tie 4-3 against Swansea City at Penydarren Park. The Swans got off to a great start with Laura Davies giving them a fourth minute lead but this was to last only seven minutes, Cardiff getting back on level terms through Amy Williams. Phoebie Poole then put Cardiff ahead for the first time but this lead lasted a similar length of time, Jessica Williams ensuring the scoreline was level again but in first half injury time, an own goal from the unfortunate Claire Skinner left Cardiff leading 3-2 going into the break.

Swansea were quick out of the traps at the start of the second half, Chloe Chivers grabbing an equaliser within two minutes of the restart, but this time it was the Bluebirds’ turn to react swiftly, Poole netting her second to restore their lead after a further five minutes. It seemed highly unlikely that this would be the end of the scoring but Cardiff held on for a superb win against the league Champions elect, and book their place in a third successive major Cup Final.

The Bluebirds’ opponents in the Final will be Cardiff Met Women who defeated Pontypridd Town 4-1 at Jenner Park. This result was not quite as staright forward as the scoreline suggests, indeed Pontypridd took the lead through Alana Murphy and they remained in front until the half hour, when Laura May Walkley levelling the scores for the Archers. Things remained in the balance until midway through the second half, when Shannon Evans gave Met the lead for the first time and Evans went on to score a second , nine minutes later. Pontypridd had fought well but any remaining hopes of making a fightback were ended late on when Lucy Finch netted a fourth for the club which won the trophy last time around and are looking for a fourth success in the competition.

The Final, between Cardiff City Women and Cardiff Met Women, will be played at Penybont FC on Sunday 24th April.