The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

An interview with Cheltenham Town goalkeeper Aimee Watson ++ Happy ending for Teversal ++ Woodspring's wonderful first season ++ Coventry excited to face Arsenal ++ Northern Ireland Under-17s top group ++ Moneys check in on National League ++ 

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Back to home page

Charlton hold leaders Liverpool

It was something of a strange day in the FA Women’s Championship on Sunday with four matches being played, which produced a total of only six goals, four of which were scored by one team.

Leaders Liverpool were in action at home to Charlton Athletic and with second placed Bristol City not having a game, the opportunity was there for Matt Beard’s side to go ten points clear at the top. The two teams had met seven days earlier, with a late goal giving the Reds victory on that occasion, but this time it was to be a frustrating day for the leaders as the match finished goalless. Leanne Kiernan nearly broke the deadlock late on but was denied by a great save from Addicks goalkeeper Eartha Cumings. The result means that as things stand, Liverpool require eight more points from their final four games in order to sew up the title.

None of the chasing teams were able to pick up any significant ground on the top two but Durham Women are back in third place after their match away to Lewes also finished in a goalless draw. A game of few chances saw the Wildcats make the long journey home from Sussex with a point under their belts and although Lewes remain eighth in the table, they are still only four points behind Durham and can still challenge for a place in the top three.

Watford took a huge step towards retaining their status as they won 1-0 against London City Lionesses. The Golden Girls went into the league on the back of four straight losses and without a win in the league since November, but took the lead on the hour mark through Chiara Meola at Vicarage Road. The Lionesses pushed hard for an equaliser in the last half hour but could not make a breakthrough and went down to a third defeat in four games, whilst Watford extended the gap between themselves and Coventry Utd to nine points.

Given the scorelines in the other games on the day, the other was something of a goal feast as Sunderland came from one behind to run out 4-1 winners away to Sheffield Utd. The Blades went into the match in excellent form, having won each of their last three matches, and things were looking good for them once again as a rare goal from Sophie Bradley-Auckland put them in front midway through the first half. However,  Sunderland made a great response with Emily Scarr bringing them level again just two minutes later, and the striker bagged a second shortly before half time. After the break, Maria Farrugia netted a third goal for the Wearsiders who went on to guarantee themselves a happy journey home as Emma Kelly sealed one of their best results of the season by making it four, with four minutes remaining.