The website dedicated to women's football across the country, at ALL levels of the game

An interview with Charlotte Greengrass (Nottingham Forest) ++ Fourth time lucky for Pagham ++ Cliftonville and Glentoran set early pace ++ England to play Switzerland ++ Southampton and Forest lift FAWNL Cups ++ Portchester take the honours ++ Basingstoke's shootout joy ++ Bluebirds lift FAW Women's Cup ++

About Us…


News Archive

Get the mag!

Back to home page

Bluebirds lift FAW Women’s Cup

Cardiff City Women 2 (Watkins 61, Billingham 86)  

Cardiff Met Women 0

Cardiff City lifted the FAW Women’s Cup with a thrilling 2-0 victory over city rivals Cardiff Met at the SDM Glass Stadium.

Second half goals from Seren Watkins and Lily Billingham saw the Bluebirds seal the trophy for the first time since 2016. The win also ensured manager Iain Darbyshire got his hands on his first piece of silverware since taking charge of the Bluebirds.

Met, who were the defending champions after lifting the trophy in 2019, had already sealed the Genero Adran Trophy this term with a win over the Bluebirds in last month's final, but it was Darbyshire's side who started on the front foot in Bridgend.

The first opportunity of the afternoon fell to Billingham, whose lofted attempt forced an impressive save from Met goalkeeper Charlotte Smith.

Down the opposite end, a corner from Sophie Hancocks found Stephanie Turner in the box, but Ceryn Chamberlain was on hand to collect the Met captain's effort.

Billingham then played Phoebie Poole through on goal with a perfectly weighted through ball after a driving run at the Met defence, but Poole’s attempt flew narrowly wide of the far post.

Met reminded City of their danger on the break as Elianna Chavez found space behind the Bluebirds’ defence and set up Laura-May Walkley, whose attempt was blocked by Siobhan Walsh.

A speculative effort from Billingham came close to opening the scoring as her attempt from outside of the box went over the target.

City maintained their pressure as Saunders’ left footed attempt inside the box was caught well by Smith and then Ffion Price was denied by the woodwork as her curling shot from range struck the bar.

But the Bluebirds finally broke the deadlock on the hour mark through Watkins. After combining with Poole, the 18-year-old got the better of her marker and found the bottom corner with a 25-yard strike to give City the lead.

Met substitute Shannon Evans came close to having an instant impact as she cut inside from the left before hitting the crossbar with an attempt.


Emily Allen then set up another opportunity for the Archers after an acrobatic pass found Evans, who was unable to guide her header on target.


The Bluebirds were again denied by the woodwork down the opposite end as Poole struck the crossbar, but they got the goal to give them some breathing space with four minutes left on the clock.

Billingham, who was the youngest player on the pitch, dribbled past Hancocks and rifled beyond goalkeeper Smith to ensure there would be no way back for Met.